Thursday, August 18, 2011

Run Autodesk DWG Trueview 2010 without admin rights

One of the PC technicians at my workplace needs to install DWG Trueview 2010 for some end-users.  However, in order for those users to run this application, they need to be granted admin privilege on their local desktop.

I did some researches online and couldn't really find a solution for it.    While doing my searching online, I ran across a page which mentioned the procmon (process monitoring) tool from Sysinternal.  Dud!  why didn't I think of this tool?  Using procmon to monitor the application while it was running, I found out that "DWGVIEWR.exe" couldn't access two registry keys below:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts


In order to get this program running, all you need to do is to grant the end-user full permission to those registry keys (run "regedit" and browse to those keys, right click and add permission).

That is all you need to do to get it running.

2 comments: